The Spokane Police Department is releasing the names of the police officers involved in a shooting last Thursday (8-22-2013).
The four officers have more than 50 years of combined experience with the Spokane Police Department and currently work on patrol.
Lt. Kevin King: 25 year SPD veteran, Patrol Supervisor and former member of SWAT and K-9 Teams
· Received the Lifesaving Award in 2010 for helping to pull a suicidal individual from the railing of the Monroe Street Bridge.
· Received the Chief’s Citation Award in 2009 for his work as part of the Public Information Officer Team.
· Received the Employee of the Year Award in 2007 for his work on the K-9 Unit.
· Received Medal of Merit in 2001 for his work as a patrol K-9 handler, SWAT Team member, and his involvement in training other agencies in SWAT and K-9 tactics.
· Received Commendations from multiple agencies, including the Department of Justice, Spokane Regional Drug Task Force, Kootenai County Sheriff’s Department, United States Border Patrol, Stevens County Sheriff’s Department, Washington State Patrol, US Postal Office, Missoula Police Department, Geiger Corrections, Yakima Police Department, Cheney Police Department, and Washington State Department of Corrections.
Ofc. Robert Collins: 18 year SPD veteran and member of the Patrol
Patrol Anti-Crime Team (PACT)
· Received the Chief’s Citation Award in 2012 for his work on the Patrol Anti-Crime Team (PACT).
· Received Commendations in 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, and 1995 for his compassionate, professional and thorough response to incidents including: a near-fatal car collision where he helped pull a victim to safety; a death investigation where he aided in the collection and preservation of evidence; a burglary response involving a hostile and incoherent suspect who was safely brought into custody; his work to prevent gang activity in Spokane; and his work on the Special Investigations Unit (S.I.U).
Ofc. Corey Lyons: 6 year SPD veteran assigned to Patrol
· Received the Lifesaving Award in 2009 for pulling a suicidal individual from the railing of the Monroe Street Bridge.
· Received Commendations in 2012 for his response and investigation of a fatal stabbing and in 2008 for his work to gain information that led to the arrest of several bank robbery suspects.
Ofc. Scott Lesser: 3 year SPD veteran and member of Patrol and TAC (Tactical) Team
· Received an Outstanding Action Commendation in 2012 for his work on the K-9 Unit and the Unit’s apprehension of a wanted felon and Repeat Offender.
· Received three Commendations in 2012 for his response and investigation of a fatal stabbing; for his work to apprehend an armed robbery and car theft suspect; and for his work to apprehend a suspect threatening to kill others and armed with two knives.
The Spokane Police Department continues to work in cooperation with the SIRR Team in this active and ongoing investigation. The SIRR Team is comprised of members of the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office, the Washington State Patrol and the Spokane Police Department.